Pages

Wednesday, July 31, 2013

Mermaid

My cousin Jaiden turned 4 and wanted a Little Mermaid/under the sea themed party.


I used this under the sea mold for fondant using this idea and then this idea. Dusting the mold with cornstarch/powdered sugar mix, pressing the fondant into the mold, cutting off the extra fondant, repressing it, then flipping it out. I laid each piece on wax paper dusted with more cornstarch and powdered sugar, and let dry for 2 days to harden.


I had extra fondant and Jaiden told me that the cake needed a trident for the king when we were discussing her cake a few days before. I made a trident by rolling yellow fondant into a thin short rope. Then using a rolling pin, I rolled a small amount flat and used a sharp knife cut out the shape of the speared end. Laid the shape over the rope and used the rolling pin to roll everything flat and fuse the 2 pieces together. Then I cut out the king's crown shape and laid it on a curved bottle dusted with corn starch so it would have a rounded shape as it hardened. I dusted everything with pearl dust. White on the yellow, pink, and ivory fondant, green on the teal fondant, purple on the purple, and red on the coral fondant.


See that Flounder? I rolled out another thin sheet of fondant and using food writers, drew out the shape of Flounder by hand. Then I used a small paint brush and dipped it into a small amount of food gel into my palette, added a drop of color and used it to "paint" his light and dark blue stripes on. I could have (should have) used vodka instead of water, since the alcohol evaporates faster; it took a long time to dry. I also made a Sebastian and then Dory and Nemo. Under the sea right?

Detail. The king's trident and crown. Purple shells and a little piping makes Ariel's top. Sebastian and Flounder.
Top tier is chocolate cake. I used the wonder mold pan. I frosted it with a large piping bag and the frosting tip. After it crusted I used a viva paper towel and my hand to smooth out any bumps.


Bottom tier is yellow cake dyed sea green. Its a 12x3 inch round with the heating core.


I used a new frosting recipe that I learned in the Wilton class I'm taking, its too good to share!


Make sure to cut dowels to fit under your top tier. It supports your cake from collapsing and keeps it level. 

I piped on the dark blue water border instead of using the mold just because I was becoming impatient with the process. Used a dot of frosting to adhere the fondant to the cake after it has crusted.

A problem I ran into with using this Ariel doll I found for cheap at walmart, was that from her hips to the bottom of her feet was about 6 inches. The wonder mold pan yields cake that is only 5 inches tall. I had to cut a 2" hole in the bottom of the 8" cake board and thread her feet through the bottom. No biggie. After she was in, I piped her tail using tip 104, let down her hair and positioned her arms.




Disney/Pixar movies always have "Easter Eggs" in them so I thought it would be cute to sneak in Nemo and Dory on the back of the cake.



My sea creatures came out great! The cake was a hit at the party and Jaiden couldn't get over her Mermaid cake!


Hard to believe something that started this sketch came into reality.

No comments:

Post a Comment